You've finally (almost) made it to your home purchase finish line, and now the moving process begins! So much to do, so little time.
Be sure to enjoy this part of the purchase (try to keep your stress level low). Get rid of some old clutter (simplify your life) and have fun with your move. It seems like your life is so crazy-busy right now, but it will all get back to normal soon enough (and normal isn't always this exciting, so enjoy this process!).
Read Also: Home Buyer's To-Do List (Before Your Write an Offer on a Home)
Here's a checklist to help you remember some important things to do as you move (be sure to write your own list and keep it handy during your move):
- Set up utilities/services at your new home (water, gas and electric, internet, cable, telephone, trash pickup).
- Get the locks changed ASAP after Closing!
- DMV change of address - Change your address at the DMV.
- If your new home is part of a Home Owners Association, contact them to let them know you're moving in. Some require orientation appointments, registering of your vehicles, paperwork to be filled out, etc.
- Post office change of address and forwarding from old address.
- Change address for bank statements, credit cards, cell phone, etc.
- Cancel utilities at your old home.
- Notify insurance carriers of new address (and anyone else who sends you bills in the mail).
- Update or set-up your "AlertSanDiego" emergency notification system contact information. More on that at Alert San Diego Emergency Notification System.
- Write a list of any/all work you want to do on the home.
- Coordinate your move (packing, cleaning, moving, etc.).
If you need help OR have any questions, do not hesitate to call me!
Who else do you know who is considering buying a home in San Diego? Please tell them about me (or better yet introduce us to each other)! I highly value referrals from my clients.
Justin Gramm is the founder and principal broker of Globella Buyers Realty, your San Diego Exclusive Buyer Brokerage. He also writes this blog, "For San Diego Home Buyers."
Exclusive Buyer Agents do not list homes for sale and never represent sellers. They have no "inventory" to try to sell you. They can represent you in purchasing any home. They are specialists at representing buyers only on the buyers' side of the transaction. Exclusive Buyer Agents work to get buyers the best price and terms when they buy a home.
If you have excellent credit and plan to buy a home or condo in San Diego County within 90 days, contact Justin Gramm to hire an agent on your side of the transaction. Call Justin at 619-775-1977 or E-mail.